Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Newly diagnosed as a Type1 Diabetic and a few helpful tips

It hadn't crossed my mind In a long time but, I was diagnosed with diabetes this second pregnancy. My dad is diabetic and so are a few others in my family tree, so I had an idea of me possibly getting it in the future but, when I went into the clinic for prenatal care right away they noticed my high sugar level with the urine sample they take.
So they immediately started me on a 2200 calorie diet to see if with a steady diet I could produce any insulin on my own and supplied me with a glucose meter. I went home and stayed on the diet the whole week until my next appointment that was the next week (mind I AM PREGNANT) so cravings sucked. 
I check my glucose level every morning and 2 hours after each meal. That whole week my levels were high, so the doctor sadly had put me on insulin shots. Right away I had feelings of anger and sadness. I thought why me? I'm not super big or obese. I know I eat a lot but there are bigger people than me and don't have this disease. Though it's hard at times still, I came to the realization that it's in my family and some of us will get it. 
I go to the doctor every 2 weeks because as a diabetic my pregnancy is considered high risk. So they keep a close eye on my fetus' progress and growth. I had a hard time controlling my meal portions which of course, leads to high sugar levels. I was put on the clear insulin and the cloudy. The clear releases slowly into the bloodstream and the cloudy one takes effect faster for meals. 
Now months later I am at better control of my sugar levels. I am still pregnant so cravings and appetite are hard to control. Its all in moderation. 
  
So here are somethings that I've learned and work for me. Remember every diabetic it different so some might work for me and not for you. 
  • Drink LOTS of water!
  • Eat Breakfast!!! Even If you have to drag yourself!
  • Exercise! Regular exercise helps you lower sugar levels! I'm walking an hour a day and it helps bunches!
  • Wash your hands before checking sugar levels! I learned that first hand. I was cooking my lunch and before I ate I had to check it, my level was 196 and realized I hadn't washed my hands after cooking. Washed my hands and checked again and BAM! my levels were normal! Thank God!
  • You CAN eat sweets. Remember its all in moderation. Don't serve yourself a huge slice a cake like you use to.

Just some things that have worked for me. I am no expert yet . Maria XO =)




Here is a simple breakdown of what diabetes is.


  • During and immediately after a meal, digestion breaks carbohydrates down into sugar molecules (of which glucose is one) and proteins into amino acids.
  • Right after the meal, glucose and amino acids are absorbed directly into the bloodstream, and blood glucose levels rise sharply. (Glucose levels after a meal are called postprandial levels.)
  • The rise in blood glucose levels signals important cells in the pancreas, called beta cells, to secrete insulin, which pours into the bloodstream. Within 10 minutes after a meal insulin rises to its peak level.
  • Insulin then enables glucose to enter cells in the body, particularly muscle and liver cells. Here, insulin and other hormones direct whether glucose will be burned for energy or stored for future use.
  • When insulin levels are high, the liver stops producing glucose and stores it in other forms until the body needs it again.
  • As blood glucose levels reach their peak, the pancreas reduces the production of insulin.
  • About 2 - 4 hours after a meal both blood glucose and insulin are at low levels, with insulin being slightly higher. The blood glucose levels are then referred to as fasting blood glucose concentrations.

TYPE 1 DIABETES


  • In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas does not produce insulin. Onset is usually in childhood or adolescence. Type 1 diabetes is considered an autoimmune disorder.
    Patients with type 1 diabetes need to take insulin. Dietary control in type 1 diabetes is very important and focuses on balancing food intake with insulin intake and energy expenditure from physical exertion.

    TYPE 2 DIABETES
    Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes, accounting for 90 - 95% of cases. In type 2 diabetes, the body does not respond properly to insulin, a condition known as insulin resistance. In type 2 diabetes, the initial effect of this stage is usually an abnormal rise in blood sugar right after a meal (called postprandial hyperglycemia).
    Patients whose blood glucose levels are higher than normal, but not yet high enough to be classified as diabetes, are considered to have pre-diabetes.It is very important that people with pre-diabetes control their weight to stop or delay the progression to diabetes.
    Obesity is common in patients with type 2 diabetes, and this condition appears to be related to insulin resistance. The primary dietary goal for overweight type 2 patients is weight loss and maintenance. With regular exercise and diet modification programs, many people with type 2 diabetes can minimize or even avoid medications. Weight loss medications or bariatric surgery may be appropriate for some patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment